From: David W. Morris on Sat, Jan 6, 1996 2:36 AM
Subject: Re: A possible suggestion (wrt "Take me off the list")
To: Steff Watkins
Cc: www-security@ns2.rutgers.edu

On Fri, 5 Jan 1996, Steff Watkins wrote:

>  this is just a possible suggestion, and comes around from the mass of
> "Take me off the list" messages that we've all been getting in the past
> few weeks.

Really annoying I agree.

> Suggestion:
>
>   Would it be a good idea to move this list from being email-based, to
> being Web-based??
>
>[...]
> It is NOT my intention to tread on anyone's corns. It just seems, to me,
> that this would be a good move.

I agree with all of your reasoning except the conclusion. The noise on
the list is a small price to pay compared with the extra time it would
require to follow the same disussion via a step by step interface
such as possible with current web browsers.  Multiple CLICKs and delays
between messages.  With the E'mail approach, a decent mail program
gives me lots of power to move quickly thru email because it is basically
local data I'm reading and it's all keyboard driven.

So while its a good goal, the technology isn't ready. There are alreaady
one or more HTML archives for mail lists, don't know if WWW Security
has such an archive but that would let you come close.

Dave Morris